The Katoghike Church also known as The Cathedral of Talin is situated in the north of the Talin city. There are no data in the historical annals regarding the construction of the church. After analyzing the architectural and artistic features of the building historians came to conclusion that it applies to the second half of the 7th century. Supposedly, the Church was built by Kamsarakans.
The Katoghike Church is domed Basilica. The exterior of church is special for its luxurious sculptural decorations in white and red. This distinguishes it from other Armenian churches of V-VII centuries having rigor architectural forms and modest decorations. Rich wall paintings completely replaced the decorations in the interior. The walls of temple were once decorated with frescoes, but only small part of them survived to the present day. Today you can see only fragments of the frescoes above the main altar depicting Virgin Mary, Jesus Christ and the faces of Saints. The most famous of them is the "Entry into Jerusalem" and "Christ in glory". The frescoes were painted by the order of Movses Ekeghecapan.
Katoghike has been severely damaged by the earthquake in 1840: dome and south-western wall were destroyed. The Church was partially restored in 1947. From 1970 up to 1974 the drum of the dome was restored and roof was renovated. During the restoration works to in the North of the Church there were discovered ruins of a medieval single-nave vaulted Chapel. There were also found four themed high reliefs and sculptures around the church.